Friday, May 21, 2010

Bridesmaidzillas?


So in the June issue of Marie Claire magazine (one of my favorite mags), they feature an article on the trend of "bridesmaidzillas". Basically for these bridesmaids gone bad they make their own rules: what they want to wear, what venue the bride should pick, in one case a girl tried to make the brides mother pay for her dress!

Now I've been fortunate in that for the most part that my good friends have often opted to elope. I have been in a wedding or two (this doesn't include my stint as the go-to flower girl during my childhood), but have never gone so far as to make the bride cry on her wedding day. Although a bride or two has left me shaking my head in disbelief (one even threw a mini tantrum).

My question is this: are these bridesmaidzillas really just overwhelmed with the financial responsibility (which can add up, I've been to bridal weekends in Vegas) or are the cases cited in the article just an extreme view of what some bridesmaids have done?

The women featured in the article seemed a little self-involved and maybe, just maybe they couldn't stand to let someone have the spotlight even for a day. If that's the case, maybe the problem was the bride didn't realize that those chosen to fill in for bridesmaid duty weren't real friends at all.






No comments: