Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Need to Know: Esperanza Spalding


I must admit I've heard about Esperanza before, but didn't really take a listen to after I saw her perform a tribute to Prince at the BET Awards.








She performed "Girlfriend" and definitely held her own against Janelle Monae and even Patti LaBelle. She hails from Portland, Oregon and performs classic jazz with a modern twists. Her first album then just check out her album Esperanza has been on constant replay on my ipod. And her second album Chamber Music Society, just relased today. . If you like Amy Winehouse, Erykah Badu or even Ella Fitzgerald (one of my favorite singers) then she is definitely worth a listen. Besides anyone with hair as cool as hers has got to be a great performer ;).

Here she is on Jimmy Kimmel Live



As a bonus, here she is performing one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs Overjoyed

1 comment:

Becca. said...

she's beautiful and her music is amazing!

lovely blog!

XOXO, BECCA
www.fashion-train.co.uk